Friday, August 8, 2008

Victoria, British Columbia

We decided that since we were pretty close, that we'd spend a day in Canada. We got up at 5:15 am so that we could drive 2 hours to catch the ferry. It was about an hour ferry ride across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It was a pretty foggy and cold morning so we didn't see much on the crossing but the view once we got to Victoria was pretty cool.Victoria was such a beautiful city. We both agreed that this was our favorite day. There were castle-like hotels all over. This one is the most famous, it's called the Empress Hotel. I loved the ivy crawling up the outside of the building.There were also totem poles everywhere in the city. We eventually learned that Vancouver Island was originally inhabited by Indians so much of the island maintains an Indian influence. The totem poles were pretty cool-you can tell how tall this one is by how small we are!We had time to tour the BC Museum. I haven't been to many museums but this was by far the best museum I've ever been to. They had amazing old photos that they restored and blew up all over the walls. I could have stared at them the whole time we were there. Justin enjoyed the animal and science exhibits the most. What a scary mammoth!We each tried impersonating the sea lions-I think I won...We had to take a picture by the huge "I Was Here" mural in front of the museum that features many famous Canadians. I couldn't fit the whole thing in my camera (it was pretty big!). Justin was relieved that he stood by someone cool like Sarah McLachlan rather than someone boring.This place was really pretty-I would love to go back and spend a week there. We only had one day to squeeze it all in. We finally got back to our room at 10:00 that night so it was a really long day, but well worth it! So we say, Hat's Off to Canada!

No comments: